Thursday, August 1, 2013

For Those Who Can't Psychologically Handle "The Conjuring"

This post contains absolutely NO spoilers to the 2013 movie, This is the End. No worries.

I don't know why I haven't written about This is the End yet, but I think it's about time I do considering I saw it for the second time last night. The end-of-the-world comedy, written by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg, was released in mid-June and stars a plethora of actors and celebrities as themselves, including Rogen, Jay Baruchel, James Franco, Jonah Hill, Craig Robinson, and Danny McBride (all of whom have starred with each other in endless movies such as Pineapple Express and Knocked Up). 



Appearances are also made by Emma Watson, Rihanna, Michael Cera, Jason Segel, Mindy Kaling, Channing Tatum, and many, many more.

The movie starts out light, just some guys getting high and listening to the Backstreet Boys. After partying at James Franco's new house, Seth and Jay go out to get food when an earthquake knocks Seth down and Jay sees what appears to be blue beams coming down from the sky and taking people up in them. They run back to Franco's, where the party breaks up and several people fall into a giant sink hole (fair game, it's in the trailer). Only the main guys are left. They decide to stay in the house and wait it out, but problems arise between them.
Jay has to learn how to deal with the guys he never wanted to spend the night with anyway while he and Seth also have to fight to keep their friendship alive and everyone in general has to survive what they assume is just some crazy storm.

This is the End is an utterly ridiculous movie. I mean, I wasn't expecting some of those scenes or conversations (I don't know why I wasn't. These are the same guys from Knocked Up). It should go without saying that this is a movie you don't watch with your parents. But it's so funny that you should really only drink between scene changes because I started choking on some soda about ten minutes in and almost had to leave.

The turn the movie took about half-way through was surprising. Walking out of the theater, my friend who had seen it for the first time last night said, “What the hell. The first forty-five minutes: comedy, comedy, comedy. But I was scared shitless close to the end. I thought this was supposed to be light-hearted.” I reminded her we could've seen The Conjuring.

No comments:

Post a Comment