Friday, September 14, 2012

Studio Bias: Guys in Tights

Like millions of others this summer, I saw The Amazing Spider-Man. A few weeks later, also like millions of others, I saw The Dark Knight Rises. While one might think that those two are in the same category since they're both superhero movies, apparently there's a big difference between them (excluding characters, plot, setting). You see, The Dark Knight Rises was made by DC Comics while The Amazing Spider-Man was from Marvel.
Now, before this summer, I didn't know there was a difference. I mean, they're all just superhero movies, right? Well, according to a friend, the difference is huge. DC Comics “sucks” and that apparently hindered TDKR in some way. I don't know what he was talking about. Personally, I like the movie better than The Amazing Spider-Man (maybe it's because I love Christian Bale and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, but Christopher Nolan wrote such a great ending to the trilogy that it was hard for TASM, which was just setting things up, to compete).
I also don't know where, when, or why his vendetta against DC Comics began, but I don't think it's fair to judge a movie based on the studio that made it.
“Wait. Aren't you the girl who just slandered Pixar for Brave even when it got positive reviews...just because it was Pixar?”
Yes. Shut up. This is completely different.
Think of it like this: if a student consistently gets As on tests but then gets a C, it would be fair to say that the C was not the student's best work. But it's unfair a teacher to grade a test differently because of the student or their past tests, no matter what the grade.
It's like that.
I seriously loved The Dark Knight Rises. I was completely engrossed the whole two hours and forty-five minutes; I even sat through it twice. I still liked The Amazing Spider-Man, I just didn't connect emotionally like this final piece of the Batman puzzle did (okay, that's a lie. I cried three times at TASM).
And I definitely don't care which studio made which. Whether it was the same one that pushed out The Avengers or the one that has the monopoly on Christopher Nolan doesn't matter. After all, they're just guys in tights.

No comments:

Post a Comment