Saturday, September 8, 2012

The Godfather: Tales of a Mafia Family

I love a movie with a good history. I will literally spend hours at a time on Wikipedia reading about legendary movies, the awards it's won, and the actors who've starred in it. Then whenever a movie I know about is brought up in conversation, I can go on and on about it and annoy everyone with my vast movie knowledge. That's what I do.
So a month or so back, when I was thinking of books to take up my time during the summer, The Godfather seemed like an easy choice. I already knew it was famous for winning several Academy awards, and who doesn't want to read a book about the mafia? I sure did, so I checked it out.
After a few weeks on the waiting list at the library I finally held all 443 pages of Mario Puzo's critically-acclaimed masterpiece in my hands. I read it when I could, while babysitting or during boring lectures in class. At times I was absolutely engrossed in the book; other times...not so much. Puzo lost me in the long chapters about the Godfather's past (necessary to the plot or not, it was boring. Maybe that's why they didn't include it in the movie) and Michael's first few months in Italy.
But if I could say three words about this book, I wouldn't be able to because I'm pretty sure I can't swear in this blog. I'll give you two: it's amazing. Most of it completely blew me away. Who knew that lying, manipulating, killing mafia-men could be so likable? All I want to do is have dinner with them and be recruited into the family business (and no, I don't mean the olive oil one). Of course, my non-Sicilian heritage might cause a problem.
The movie, though, well that's a slightly different story. Marlon Brando's Vito (the Don) Corleone couldn't instil fear in a mouse, although he won the award for Best Actor the same night his movie won the top prize. I can almost see why he became the second man in history to refuse the award for Best Actor (another piece of information that I found on my endless journey to find a life on the internet). Maybe the book was just too fresh in my mind to be interested in the movie. For me, the book is much better and, while time consuming, definitely worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment